Happy Holidays from Serenity Solutions! I hope that you are enjoying the beauty and magic of the season. I love the lights, the decorations, the yummy foods, and time spent with family and friends. Unfortunately, for many people, the busyness of this time of year can lead to a lot of stress and interfere with being in the moment. For others, memories of those who are no longer with us lead to feelings of sadness or loneliness. Add in shorter days and cloudy, gloomy weather and you have a recipe for having a tough time instead of a happy and joyful one. Here’s what I suggest to help curb holiday stress so that you can focus on the things that matter most to you.
- Moderation: This time of year offers so many opportunities to do so many things. Unfortunately, doing too much can add stress to your schedule and your budget. Pick and choose the things that will bring the most meaning to you and say “no” to the rest.
- Self-care: Include time in your schedule for the things that help you feel
healthy and happy. Schedule some “me” time. Avoid overeating, get enough sleep and find ways to move your body (even if you don’t have time for your usual exercise routine).
- Practice Gratitude: All of the ads showing happy families having everything that money can buy can lead to feeling like you don’t have enough or that your life is not good enough. Take some time to appreciate all that you do have. To learn more about gratitude, click here or here.
- Be mindful: Take in all of the sights, sounds, and smells around you. They are beautiful this time of year. For more on mindfulness, click here.
- Follow these tips after the holidays: Do these things throughout the year to stay healthy, physically and mentally. Continue to do what you need to do to take care of you.
Wishing you a happy, healthy, and serene new year!